Saturday, June 24, 2006

Catching up ....






Hello, trying to catch up, as I have not been able to post as often on my blog page as I would have liked in the past 2 weeks. Memorial Weekend Photo opportunities were pretty good although not the best. I was able to capture some lady slippers and a few loon photographs at camp, even though the rain has been on and off for the last 3 weeks (mostly on)! The birds and ducks are happy with all this rain, but it does not make for good photography outings for sure. Even the flowers in my garden are starting to develop rain rot. Not good at all. For all you floral lovers, here are a few of the lady slipper photographs I was able to capture at Beaver Park in Lisbon, ME. Even on this day it was partly cloudy and the pictures did not come out as bright as I would have liked. For those of you who enjoy florals you can visit my website at http://www.animalsinpastels.com/floral-photography.html this link will bring you to my floral page to view some of the other flowers I have captured over the years . At home I have been busy with my own garden and have tried to keep up with the weeds, when the rain has stopped. This is a picture of our back yard garden that we built when we removed our old above ground pool several years ago.
This is a beautiful place to enjoy the sound of the water fountain and hear the birds singing while eating breakfast and to also retire in the evenings in our enclosed screened gazebo watching the sun set. (The screen gazebo is the only way to enjoy the outdoors in the evening in Maine as the black flies and mosquitoes will surly carry you away) hee hee. For you loon lovers who have been keeping up with my earlier posting. Yes, I was able to capture some great loon photographs last weekend. Actually the only weekend out of 3 that did not rain all weekend. The photograph below is one I captured last Sunday while at camp, with this years new loons chicks just hatched. This baby is about one and a half weeks old. I was also fortunate to capture a few shots with a loon chick on the parents back, but will have to wait to finish the film before I can share those with you. Speaking about loons, sales for my "Loons of Tacoma Lakes" book are still growing strong. It has been nearly 2 months since I published my new book and we have reached just under $4,000.00 in distribution and sales so far. Hopefully by the end of the fall season we will start to show a profit, as all money goes to pay the printer bill first. It has been a great learning experience publishing my own book and I will probably do it again. Please if anyone tells you that you can make a lot of money writing and publishing a full color book, do not believe them. The truth is, it will be 2 years before we see any real profits and that is if sales continue to be strong throughout this season and into Christmas. Honestly though, it was a labor of love for me to write this loon book and I still continue to enjoy the marketing part, although to be truthful, taking the photographs are much more enjoyable. For those of you who have not seen my new book, click on this link: Loons of Tacoma Lakes . It will direct you to my website where you can view some of the photographs that were published in my book while listening to the calls of the loons in the background. Here you will also be able to read the preface page, back cover bio and some of the review comments. If you are interesting in purchasing a copy for yourself or for a loon lover in your family, please email me at LoonsofTacoma@aol.com and I would be happy to mail you a signed copy (free shipping and handling is still available for single orders in the US). For those of you who will be in the area of Lisbon Falls, Maine on July 7th & 8th, stop by at the Moxie Festival on Friday evening July 7th between 4 and 7 PM. I am scheduled for a two day book signing event at the Teen Center on Main Street located between the fire station and the bank. For those of you who will only be attending the festival on Saturday , I will also be available between 10 PM and 2 PM sharing space with the Lisbon Library book fair, at the teen center. I promise to bring a few of my new photographs as bookmarkers and 4x6 photo magnets for all you loon lovers out there. Looking forward to seeing you at the book signing during the Moxie Festival. Until then, take care, have fun and pray for sunshine! Sandy

No comments: